Sunny von Bulow
(Martha Sharp Crawford von Bulow)
Did you know...
1. She was born on September 1, 1932 in Manassas, Virginia.
2. She was delivered on her father's personal railway carriage, en route from Hot Springs, Virginia, to New York, which is why she was known as "Choo-Choo" as a child before being nicknamed "Sunny" because of her cheerful disposition.
3. She was 4 years old when her father died and she inherited 100 million dollars.
4. On June 6, 1966, Sunny married her second husband Claus von Bulow, the man that would eventually be held responsible for attempting to murder her.
5. On the evening of December 21, 1980, while celebrating Christmas with family at Clarendon Court, her mansion in Newport, Rhode Island, she displayed confusion and awkwardness. She was put to bed but was discovered in the morning, lying on the bathroom floor, unconscious and unresponsive. She was taken to the hospital where it was concluded that she had suffered severe brain injury and would remain in a persistent vegetative state. Her husband Claus von Bulow, was tried on two accounts of attempted murder after evidence gathered by Rhode Island prosecutors pointed to his involvement. He was convicted at his first trial, appealed and then acquitted in a second trial.
To learn more about the privelidged life and sensational story of Sunny von Bulow, Lily Lemontree recommends Reversal of Fortune: Inside the von Bulow Case and The Von Bulow Affair