Óscar Arístides de la Renta Fiallo
"The only realities in life are that you are born, and that you die.
We always think we are going to live forever. The dying aspect we will never accept.
The one thing about having this kind of warning is how you appreciate every single day of life."
Did you know...
1. He was born on July 22, 1932 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
2. His family were an integral part of Dominican high society and could count poets, scholars, and businessmen as well as top army brass among their members.
3. Before establishing his own fashion house, he apprenticed or worked with the likes of Cristóbal Balenciaga, Antonio del Castillo at Lanvin, and Elizabeth Arden before moving on to Jane Derby, eventually taking over the label under his own name in 1965.
4. He became internationally famous in the 1960's for dressing the First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy and most recently of designing the wedding gown Ms. Amal Alamuddin wore when she married actor George Clooney.
5. He was a two term president of the CFDA, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (1973-1976, 1986-1988) and was the recipient of two COTY Awards, the US fashion industry 'Oscars' (1967, 1968) and two CFDA 'Designer of the Year' awards (2000, 2007).
To learn more about the iconic Oscar de la Renta, Lily Lemontree recommends Oscar: The Style, Inspiration and Life of Oscar de La Renta