Tuesday, June 17, 2014

AT THE TABLE: Rye Toast with Smoked Salmon, Cucumber and Onion

image via Lisa Hubbard/Martha Stewart

After spending what seemed like an eternity indoors this past winter, I shudder at the thought of wasting any precious sunshine sitting inside. Unfortunately since one must keep a clean house and occasionally feed the children that one has had, I have become a pro at finding quick and delicious recipes that I can throw together in a flash and not forsake tastiness in the process.
I am very lucky that the Lemontree's are major fish eaters, with a penchant for salmon (one of my favourites!) and they never say no to digging into smoked salmon with a smear of cream cheese on a bagel.
I find that a bagel can be a little carb heavy during the warmer months so I turned to the original lifestyle maven Martha Stewart to find a slight variation on the popular bagel-based standby.
(is it me or has Martha been a little salty lately with her opinions about that other 'lifestyle guru' Gwyneth Paltrow and Ms. GOOP's authenticity? could it be a 'lifestyle throw-down' in the making?? too funny!) 
I love that the rye toast lightens up the recipe and that you can really substitute just about anything for the cucumber, onion or capers if they aren't your thing. Why not throw a few hot banana peppers into the mix or try a sweet pickle instead of the cucumber if you so wish?
Perfect for a flash lunch!

image via Food52.com

8 thin slices rye bread
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-fat cream cheese
1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon drained capers, rinsed and patted dry
Freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Toast bread slices in oven on a baking sheet, turning once, until golden, about 10 minutes. Spread 2 teaspoons cream cheese on each toast. Divide cucumber, salmon, onions, and capers among toasts; season with pepper. Squeeze lemon juice on top.


Win a the Party of your Dreams with Lily O’Brien’s Chocolates

2 comments:

Mommy Lisa said...

Lucky you. I would never get my youngest to eat that! Hubby and I would though.

Lily Lemontree said...

Mommy Lisa,
I have been very lucky with both of mine with certain foods that most children wouldn't eat but I pay the price elsewhere. Neither of them will go near red meat and so many other foods that my husband and I love (how does a kid not like BBQ or pizza?!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails