(Émilie Claudette Chauchoin)
Did you know.....
1. She was born on September 13, 1903 in Saint-Mandé, Seine, France.
2. In 1928, she married her first husband Norman Foster, an actor and director, but throughout their 7 year marriage, they never lived together or shared a home, supposedly because her mother disliked Foster.
3. She was constantly praised by friends, fans and the press for her sense of style and fashion and made sure that throughout her career she was always impeccably groomed and dressed.
4. Most shots of her in films were of her left profile as she considered her left side to be her best and rarely allowed full face/right profile shots due to a nose injury that had created a bump on the right. Once an entire set had to be rebuilt after filming had already started so she wouldn't have to show her right side, resulting in some cameramen calling the right side of her face "the dark side of the moon".
5. She is one of only 5 French actors to have ever won an Academy Award, along with Simone Signoret, Juliette Binoche, Marion Cotillard and Jean Dujardin.
To learn more about the lovely Claudette Colbert, Lily Lemontree recommends Claudette Colbert : An Illustrated Biography