Thursday, July 11, 2013

BEAUTY SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL: 3 Summer Must-Knows for a Head to Toe Glow

By Sabrina T.


I look forward to summer all year round. During the winter I pray for warmer weather, and when it finally arrives I find I curse myself because now it’s too hot. I suppose it’s one of those “grass is always greener on the other side” moments. 
Truth be told, the summer heat can turn you into a hot mess. The sun can fry your skin, lounging in a pool can fizzle your hair and makeup just doesn’t seem to set the same. It took me awhile to perfect my regimen, but I finally figured out how to make the most out of the heat. It boils down to a few quick and simple home beauty remedies.
If you want to look your very best all summer long, employ these tried, tested and true tricks!


SKIN
As the mercury climbs higher and higher up your thermometer, you’ve probably started to notice your skin reacting different. Your facial oils go into overdrive, clear skin breaks out with a few blemishes and makeup seems to slide off. 
To tackle all these issues at once you’re going to want to apply a nice BB cream (Lily loves 'L'Oreal Age Perfect Instant Radiance BB Cream'). Whether it’s homemade or storebought, BB creams are great. They moisturize, contain an SPF so you don’t get sun damage and actively fight and hide acne breakouts. To top it off, they provide the perfect base so you can easily apply makeup over top. 


HAIR
Heat, humidity and exposure to sea salted water or chlorinated pools can give you frizzy, damaged tresses. To regain those coveted beach locks, all you need to do is a simple DIY hair mask.

All you need for this simple home hair mask is:
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Honey
Mix your two ingredients together nicely, then slather all over your hair and let it soak in for 30 minutes. Wash it out with a mild shampoo and you will have instantly smoother, silkier and shinier hair. Mayonnaise is full of fats that help nourish your hair and scalp, while providing it with a nice sheen. Honey is a natural humectant, which means it locks in all that moisture to keep the frizz away. 


BODY
There’s nothing worse than turning into a puddle of sweat as soon as the temperatures rise. While you can’t avoid sweating, you can control your appearance and scent. Whether I’m on the go or hanging out on my back patio, I carry a body spray with me. The ingredients balance my skin’s pH, cool my skin and keep me smelling fresh as a daisy.

In a travel-sized spray bottle mix together:
2 tablespoons Witch Hazel
10 drops Tea Tree Oil
30 drops Rose Concentrate
top with water
Give your spray bottle a little shake before each use and apply all over your face and body. You’ll feel instantly fresher and the ingredients will protect, nourish and neutralize your skin.



Sabrina is gluten-free, green-your-routine, natural skin care kinda gal who writes for BESskincare.com. From brutally honest product reviews to simple homemade alternatives, she likes to share all her best tricks so her readers can look and feel their very best all year round. For more beautiful skin tips like 'Microdermabrasion At Home: Gettin’ Our Scrub On!' stay connected with her on Facebook  and Twitter.


Birchbox


4 comments:

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Lovely recommendations A. I will certainly be trying all of them ;-)

Celia M. High Heeled Life said...

Wonderful reminders. Thank you for these great suggestion! C. (HHL)

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Anastasia,
These are very useful summer tips for sharing with others!
No, I'm not complaining about the heat. A fresh shower does wonders and wearing natural fibers and also sleeping in natural fiber bed linens.
Hugs to you,
Mariette

M.A. said...

Thank you for the tips! BB creams are the best thing ever since sliced bread. I love how I can accomplish so much with one product.

Marie Angelique

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails