(Manuel Blahnik Rodriguez)
Did you know...
1. He was born on November 28, 1942 in Santa Cruz de La Palma, Spain.
2. He was brought up and home-schooled on a banana plantation in the Canary Islands. Reflecting on his childhood he was quoted as saying “It was just bananas, the sea and us….a sort of paradise.”
3. In 1970, his fleeting thoughts of becoming a theatre set designer came to an end after a meeting with Diana Vreeland who viewed his set design portfolio and exclaimed, “How amusing. Amusing. You can do accessories very well. Why don’t you do that? Go make shoes. Your shoes in these drawings are so amusing.”
4. His shoes have become a symbol of 'classic' chic style for the 21st century favoured by the elite with the stiletto being the anchor of all his collections to date.
5. He became a household name in North America after Carrie Bradshaw, the main character from the television show 'Sex and the City' repeatedly spoke of her love for his stilettos.
6. He was named to Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed List 'Hall of Fame' in 1987.
To learn more about the beauty Manolo Blahnik has created, Lily Lemontree recommends Blahnik by Boman: Shoes, Photographs, Conversation