(Margarita Carmen Cansino)
Did you know...
1. She was born on October 17, 1918 in Brooklyn, New York.
2. In 1949, she married Prince Aly Khan (her third of five husbands) and became the first Hollywood actress to become a bona fide princess.
3. Her famous red hair was not her natural color. Born with black hair and a low hairline, she was encouraged to dye it red and go through painful electrolysis, lifting her hairline higher to give her a less ethnic appearance. Her re-vamped image, in addition to using her mother's maiden name Hayworth instead of Cansino, garnered her more 'all-American' roles at Columbia where she was under a long term contract.
4. She was cousins with Ginger Rogers through the marriage of her maternal uncle to Ginger's maternal aunt.
5. She was the number 2 soldier pin-up girl in World War, trailing only Betty Grable in the 1940's.
To learn more about the life and times of the iconic Rita Hayworth, Lily Lemontree recommends