Wednesday, July 11, 2012

AT THE TABLE: Blood Orange Granita

Have I mentioned how unbearably hot it has been around here lately??
I know many of you are presently in the same boat so you can understand why I have had absolutely no inclination to spend any time in the kitchen asides from providing the mandatory three square meals for la familia. Yesterday was the first day I could entertain the thought of stepping foot back into the kitchen so I thought I would mark my re-entry by whipping up a little treat!
After dropping by The Kitchen Sink (fab site for foodies and novices alike, go visit asap!) for a little culinary inspiration, I set my sights on a little summertime delight, a light and refreshing Italian dessert ice or granita siciliana as it is known in the fancy circles.
There are a ton of different flavor varieties you can choose from (swap out the blood orange juice for anything that tickles your fancy) but there is just something about the blood orange and its hue that just hits the spot on a hot summer day. 

Blood Orange Granita

4 cups blood orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup simple sugar (2 parts sugar to 1 part water, heated to boiling)
1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and adjust sugar as preferred. Pour the liquid into a large shallow pan (stainless steel or ceramic will do), cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer. When liquid has frozen, start scraping surface with a fork till all the frozen mixture has been scraped into chunky shavings. Scoop into vessel of your choice (when I am feeling particularly green, I like using the hollowed out orange halves) and serve.

*recipe and images via The Kitchen Sink





7 comments:

lisa signorini said...

thanks so much for your visit, your comment on my last post and to be my newest follower!!! I follow u too!
kisses
Lisa S. per www.thecurlylady.blogspot.com

Bethany said...

This looks delicious! I love the bright color of the blood oranges. Thanks for sharing!

Lily Lemontree said...

Bethany,
you will love it! So refreshing and just a touch of sweetness, my kiddies love to help me prepare it, I am sure your girls will too!!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

That sounds SO refreshing on these hot days! Thanks!!

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

This sounds simply delicious–and the color is stunning!

High Heeled Life said...

My friend this sounds and looks delish!! definitely perfect for the extreme heat we have been dealing with. Even here in Caledon is beyond hot. Hoping things cool off ...thanks for sharing this recipe ...I'm going to check out the site. xo HHL

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Anastasia,

That is a lovely recipe for sharing. Especially the red color of the blood oranges makes this granita so inviting. Hope you will have some rains to cool down, like we had this evening. So needed.
Love to you,
Mariette

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails