The Duchess of Windsor
(Bessie Wallis Warfield)
Did you know.....
1. She was born on June 19, 1896 in Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania.
2. She was an only child raised by her mother after the death of her father, Teackle Wallis Warfield, only 5 months after she was born.
3. She grew up in Baltimore, Maryland as both her maternal and paternal families were long-time residents, making it easier for her and her mother to depend on charity from various wealthier relatives during Wallis' early years prior to her mother re-marrying.4. She was twice divorced before she married The Duke of Windsor, the former King Edward VIII, who abdicated the throne of England to take Wallis as his wife. As a divorced woman with two living ex-husbands, Wallis was not considered a suitable Queen consort for the King of England and the Commonwealth, thus forcing King Edward to relinquish his title.
5. She was known to have a remarkably fabulous jewellery collection given to her by the Duke of Windsor that raised over $45 million dollars at a Sotheby's auction after her death,
6. Since she was never considered a 'traditional' beauty due to her heavy, masculine features, Wallis compensated for her lack of good looks by always being immaculately groomed and dressed to perfection. Regarded as one of the greatest style icons of the 20th century, she was named to Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed 'Hall of Fame' in 1958.
To learn more about Wallis Simpson, The Duchess of Windsor, click here.