Friday, April 13, 2012

MRS. LEMONTREE'S GUIDE ON HOW TO BEHAVE HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE: Reviving the Charming Art of Etiquette

 A couple of months ago, I attended a bridal shower for a darling friend who is getting married. Near the end of the shower, the bride-to-be (a fabulously dressed, well-educated and polished executive type) pulled me to the side and asked me for a little favour. What was the favour you ask? A getaway car to ease her cold feet?? No, nothing like that she assured me and then went on to tell me that while she was ecstatic to be getting married, she was having a bit of difficulty with all the wedding related rituals she was supposed to know all about and for whatever reason, didn't. Stuff like how to write a fabulous (and genuine) thank you note, correct invitation wording that wouldn't offend anyone, the dreaded proper seating arrangements for larger functions like showers, luncheons and weddings, etc. 
"Simple", I said to her, "let's get together for an afternoon and we could go over everything you want and need to know". "That would be great", replied the blushing bride-to-be, "but the problem is with all the wedding stuff I still have to take care of , my job (that takes her away for a few days at a time quite often) and still trying to enjoy the last days of being single with my fiancee, I just don't think I have any time to schedule anything else at this point". I thought to myself how could I help her without seeing her and then, the little light in my head went off!
Even if she didn't have the time to spare for an afternoon, she most definitely had a few minutes a day to read an email and respond back with any follow-up questions if necessary. I told her that I would send her a short email everyday on wedding etiquette, a daily 'good manners' tip if you will, until the day of the wedding. She was thrilled and we started the very next day with our email tutorials. About a week into our emails, she called to tell me how much she loved the short daily emails and that she knew of a friend of hers in a similar boat that she had mentioned our emails to and was wondering if she could be included. Of course, I was more than happy to include her friend and cut to a couple of months later, we have added a few dozen names to the daily emailing list!
Now with that segue under way, I come to the reason for this long-winded post today! Along the way, I have often wondered how I could broaden the scope of this quick and simple way to get people thinking of good manners, wedding related or not,  every single day and voila, a new blog series is born!
Starting today, a short daily tip on a variety of etiquette and courteous living 'tips' will be posted most mornings. No rhyme or reason is needed as to topics, life (as much as we try) is not systematically scheduled and neither will these posts!
We can change the way we interact with each other for the better with a little thought, a smidge of effort and a touch of charm one day at a time!

Join me in Reviving the Charming Art of Etiquette!
Stay tuned, the inaugural post will be up shortly!




Business Cards, Letterhead, Address Labels and more at FineStationery.com


7 comments:

Wendy said...

That is a fabulous idea! I can't wait to follow the series.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Anastasia,

What a pleasure to read this post; so timely, as I did tweet you: Ultra-timely... We need to step back to graceful times again. I admire you for doing this.
Love,

Mariette

Etheline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Etheline said...

I absolutely adore your blog! By one way or another our world is connected, yet we are disconnected from human interaction. I love your tips on how to make this less in ones life. Looking forward to the new series. Happy Weekend:)

JMW said...

Great idea - I look forward to it! In fact, the other night I pulled my Emily Post edition geared toward children, off my shelf. I decided it was time to work on a few more things with my kids!

Tammy B said...

What a fantastic idea! I look forward to reading your posts each morning.

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

This new series is nothing short of fabulous–I love them all, and the inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails