Thursday, April 19, 2012

MRS. LEMONTREE'S GUIDE ON HOW TO BEHAVE HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE: The R.s.v.p.

'R.s.v.p.' (or RSVP, R.S.V.P.) is a French initialism for 'Repondez s'il vous plait', which translates into English as 'Please respond'.
This is a simple one.
If someone has gone through the effort and kindness to invite you somewhere, you respond to them with a 'yes' or a 'no thank you'.
It doesn't make a difference if the host is your sister, your best friend or someone you see everyday, do not assume they 'know' your answer and make sure your response has been received by the R.s.v.p. date stated with your invitation.
There are a thousand and one reasons why people don't respond to a host's invitation.
None of them are excusable.
It takes time, effort and a little bit of planning to put together a function, soiree or even a simple dinner party. Hosts should not be held accountable if an unexpected guest who didn't respond, is left without a party favor or egads, even worse, no dinner! (Of course, a good host would never let any guest do without but why put them through that kind of fuss when they already went to the trouble of inviting you and you couldn't be bothered to respond)



Shop Crane & Co


9 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

This one is a relationship ender for me. How can someone get an invitation and not even thank the person who invited them? I blame this age of entitlement. And cashiers who say 'You're welcome' instead of 'Thank you for shopping in my store'.

I do find this is the fastest way to weed through people. Invite everyone you know to a party at your house. The ones who dont rsvp are the ones you dont ever need to invite again.

Baltimore Prep said...

This is so timely for me. I am hosting a brunch for the Junior League and out of 40 invitees, I have received 11 responses. Note we are past the deadline and I have sent out a reminder request to rsvp.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, You've performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.
my page - Scene Release Log

Bethany said...

So true! Several people who never sent their response showed up at my sister's baby shower and I had to put together place settings for them at the last minute and actually had to give my mother's party favor to one. (I had made a few extra favors, but a handful of guests showed up at the last minute.) It's so rude.

Bethany said...

Oh, or don't get me started on the ones who reply with additional guests when no guests are invited!

Anonymous said...

I have learn several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.

I surprise how a lot attempt you put to make this sort of fantastic
informative website.
Also see my web site :: Small business software

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Anastasia,

Another BIG one! So important and we hear it over and over again that for weddings they don't know the numbers, or for special dinners, whatsoever. It is so rude and what do they think? That it is a fast food business where you turn around and grab something in a hurry to present to the guests. Place settings, name cards and on and on. I remember well when at an antebellum B & B we had the farewell party for our Japanese sister-city exchange group. The owners created a scrumptious breakfast but no matter how I pleaded for RSVP, they were completely left in the dark. At the day of the breakfast, top management people from the YKK Japanese plant were left without seating as others had taken their place, those that did bring lots of others along to dig in...
Besides, some came in their 'shorts' as if they were at the beach. That is showing no respect and the location itself should have given away already enough about the dress code.
I am so delighted that you take this on! Most people need to start all over, as there is not much etiquette and mannerism left.
Enjoy a great weekend!
Love,

Mariette

Laura said...

Thanks so much for sharing sweetie, this is such a good post:)

Eloquent English said...

I dislike when people do not RSVP timely or at all... One of our relatives RSVP'd to our wedding that they couldn't come AFTER our wedding!?!?!? xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails