Monday, April 16, 2012

HOW TO EAT SOUP : Mrs. Lemontree's Guide on How to Behave Here, There and Everywhere


There are many different 'etiquette rules' when it comes to eating soup (like when it's served, what types of soups are served in what types of bowls and so on) but today we outline the basics, easily mastered in a few simple steps.
To begin, it is always best to allow your soup to cool slightly to a comfortable temperature without having to blow on it. If you absolutely must blow on it, do it as quietly and as carefully as you can (no one likes soup spittle flying across the table!).
Pick up the soup spoon (which is always found to the right of your knife) and dip your spoon into the bowl. Carefully skim the soup from the front of the bowl (side closest to you) to the back of the bowl (side furthest away from you)
Bring the side of the spoon to your mouth and sip your soup as quietly as you can without slurping or making other loud noises while eating.
Trying to get to that last little bit of soup? There is absolutely nothing wrong with tipping your bowl slightly forward (away from you) and using your spoon, carefully scoop up the remaining soup.
Once you are done, rest your spoon in the bowl. Used utensils should never be placed back in their original position or anywhere else on the table.

Have a question about what you have just read?
Leave a comment below or email us at asklily@lilylemontree.com






6 comments:

Eloquent English said...

Interesting... I do skip the top of my soup, however I go from the back to the front. I guess b/c the front is closer to my mouth? I'll have to practice that one! xoxo A-

Etheline said...

Oh I'm so happy to read this post especially since here in Colombia soups are on the menu for every meal, I swear. Lol. I also found the bit about the location of the soup spoon helpful. Will we be getting an entire post on dining wear location? I hope so :)

Emily said...

I always love a good etiquette lesson! Thanks for this one :)
Creamy

daphne {flip flops and pearls} said...

Hello Sweet Friend!

Wow...who knew...I do all this totally the opposite! LOL

So nice to know, thanks for sharing:)

XoXo

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

I just love this post!

Anonymous said...

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails