Wednesday, April 25, 2012

CELL PHONES AND THE CHECKOUT LINE :: Mrs. Lemontree's Guide on How to Behave Here, There and Everywhere

Brace yourselves kittens, today might get a little harsh.
Regardless of what anyone has ever led you to believe, cell phones are not for anytime and anywhere.  Especially when you are checking out at the grocery store.

Trying to balance a cellphone between your shoulder and cheek, watching your actual groceries being scanned properly, paying for said groceries AND having a conversation with your BFF at the same time does not make for a painless checkout. It is discourteous to the cashier who you are presently interacting with in real time and should politely have your full attention, not to mention the people behind you who also want to pay for their items in a timely fashion without having to hear about your son's latest escapade or how your dog just hasn't been herself lately.
We have all been witness to someone chatting away on the phone, while mistakenly (and sometimes rudely) telling the cashier that they have scanned their item incorrectly, all because they weren't (and can't) really pay attention to what is going on in front of them.
As you are approaching your turn, end your phone conversation, put your phone down and if it rings, let it forward to you message service. (Novel idea, isn't it my friends?!)

(I actually witnessed a lady doing all of this mentioned above with her arm in a sling! To say that the cashier, who she treated like her own personal servant, and the customers behind her became irate when she couldn't get her debit card out of her wallet due to both hands being occupied is an understatement. And yet with all this hoopla going on, she just couldn't end her call and put the phone down. When a customer behind her reprimanded her for causing a major backup, she fired off  a snappy 'mind your own business' which the fellow responded with a 'lady you just made it my business, I just heard your whole life story!')

Unless it's an emergency (like you're a death row inmate waiting for a call for the Governor's office or a completely unexpected call from your child's school or daycare), it's really not that important that it can't wait for 3 minutes, the approximate time it will take you to pay for your groceries. (It might seem like an eternity but in reality, it never takes more than five minutes to go through the checkout and that's pushing it!)







9 comments:

Francis said...

Quite right. A pox on the house of Apple. No one seems to be able to make it through dinner without using their phone. My table companion recently checked in with Facebook as we sat down to dinner. She said she had to tell everyone where she was. Well, I wonder how far she carries that policy in her life. Perhaps her Facebook page makes interesting reading after all.
I use a simple Tracfone prepaid phone which is made for calling when you need to. I have a life and do not need anything else.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lily - thank you for this. Its not just the check out, its all through the grocery store. One cannot navigate shopping whilst being curteous to your fellow shoppers, and carry on that phone conversation with your monther at the same time. Really. They're clogging up the ailes and contributing to grocery-store rage. Grocery time is not 'down time' - please pay attention to the task. It's a more graceful and curteous way to go through life.

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

There's nearly nothing else that irritates me quite like someone gabbing away on the phone while ignoring the human being across the checkstand. Everyone should learn the phrase, "Let me call you back."

NCJack said...

Set the phone down???

O....M.....G!! Are you, like, ya know, serious?? I'm TALKING!

Heather Honey said...

Great post! I have seen stores, and restaurants in my area with posted signs that say "Please turn off phone while ordering" or "No phones while dining." It's not common sense for everyone!

Etheline said...

Excellent reminder. I am unhappy to admit, that I on occasion have broken this rule. I have all together nixed talking on the phone while I'm shopping as well. Otherwise when I get home I'm like..what am I suppose to do with this cheese, peanut butter, and tuna that I bought. lol. The term undivided attention didn't pop out of thin air.

Etheline said...

Excellent reminder. I am unhappy to admit, that I on occasion have broken this rule. I have all together nixed talking on the phone while I'm shopping as well. Otherwise when I get home I'm like..what am I suppose to do with this cheese, peanut butter, and tuna that I bought. lol. The term undivided attention didn't pop out of thin air.

Victoria said...

Well said.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Really do we need to be in touch 24/7?
That's a rather dicey situation.
It's illegal to talk or text while driving here in BC maybe shopping will be next.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails