(Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff)
Did you know.....
1. She was born on this day, April 3 1924 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
2. In 1937, her childhood dream of a dancing career was crushed when a car accident badly damaged her legs. She spent most of her teenage years wheelchair-bound.
3. She is deathly afraid of flying, stemming from some near-accidents in bad winter weather during her time spent touring with Bob Hope during the 1940's.
4. She reportedly did not like "swear words." As a recording artist, she would require anyone who said a swear word to put a quarter in a "swear jar" and she does not allow her songs to be used in movies that contain swear words.
5. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2004 but did not attend the White House award ceremony because of her phobia of flying.