Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE CHARMING HOME: A Southern Cottage in Savannah



A little cottage on the water has always been a dream of mine, so you can imagine how smitten I was when I came across this gorgeous home built in the 1820's that was featured on Martha Stewart's Home Tours awhile back. This enchanting abode, which once served as a caretaker's cottage on the edge of a plantation, nestles along the shores of the Skidaway River, just southeast of Savannah, Georgia.




I love the contrasts in the dining room!
Quite a grand chandelier set against the simplicity of the round table and covered chairs, almost opposites one might think. Although it isn't something that I would have every initially chosen as a fixture, seeing the pieces together makes me think they were made for each other.
Could there be a mint julep cup or two mixed into the silver service I see in the background?!




The touches of ice blue in the living room add a little edge to all the neutral shades that flow throughout the entire house. Take a closer look at the fab coffee table ~ it only has three legs!







Even the dog looks like it was born and bred to live in this home, basking in the sun beside one of the floor to ceiling windows which grace almost every room in the house.



It isn't a proper Southern home without a screened-in porch and this one gets a lot of family traffic being one of the most oft used spaces in the house.



The porch swing!! Be still my beating heart!!



Can you think of any better place to while away a Saturday afternoon?!








12 comments:

Karena said...

Now this is my kind of home on the water. Adore the porch/ porch swing swing and bedroom.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
The 2012 Artist Series

J. Beaudet said...

This is such a gorgeous home! This would be a dream come true for me. I've tried to get my husband to consider moving to the South but he can't stand the humidity! I'll just have to try and recreate this in California:)
Jenniferxx

Mariettes Back to Basics said...

Dearest Lily,

That sure is Southern Charm at its very best! Especially in the spring...
Love to you,

Mariette

Second Hand Rose said...

Wow that is gorgeous! I don't normally like that sort of colour scheme, but the house looks gorgeous! I love the outside too! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

Oh my goodness, I'm in LOVE!

Clara Turbay said...

Great job, love it.

LaraBeTheOne said...

So pretty :)

Catherine Robinson said...

Absolutely enchanting...I could sit on the porch very contentedly...bliss.
Have a fabulous weekend.
Catherine
xx

Anonymous said...

Awaiting more posts!
http://www.businesstraveltours.com is my blog.

Donna said...

Be still my heart..simply charming...

Donna said...

Be still my heart..simply charming...

Anonymous said...

Finally a person that puts some real work into a blog. I do like what you have done with the blog.
My Bolg : DepressionSymptomsMedication.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails