Wednesday, January 4, 2012

THE COCKTAIL HOUR :: Mexican Hot Chocolate


A bit of a cold snap has blown through southern Ontario (to put it mildly!). They say it is just passing through but I will believe it when I see it and feel it! Until then I will keep myself toasty warm curled up by the fire with a trusty pair of softer than silk cashmere socks, a luxurious faux fur throw I happened to find under the Christmas tree last week and a mug of this kicked up hot chocolate sent straight from heaven!
Bring it on Mother Nature!


Mexican Hot Chocolate

2 cups reduced-fat evaporated milk
½ cup whole milk
½ cup chocolate liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ancho chile powder (plus a few pinches for garnish)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 dried red chile
2 ½ oz. bittersweet chocolate, in pieces (plus shavings for garnish)
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
Whipped cream, for garnish

Whisk both milks, liqueur, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and chile powder in a heavy saucepan. Add 2 cinnamon sticks and chile, and heat until warm. Add chocolate, whisking until melted. Gently bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens and reduces slightly, whisking often, 10 minutes. Combine cream with remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon; beat until peaks form. Ladle cocoa into cups (avoiding the cinnamon sticks and whole chile!). Top with whipped cream; garnish with chile powder and shavings.




10 comments:

daphne {flip flops and pearls} said...

Oh my, that sounds divine!

Happy Wednesday ♡

Bethany said...

Delicious! The chiles really do add a great flavor to it. Chocolate is produced in Oaxaca, where I used to live in Mexico. We could go to the shops for a special blend with nuts and spices to suit our own preferences.

Teresa said...

I'm not (even) looking to what it takes and the calories, and I'm diving for one of those cups.

It isn't that cold here but I don't care. I need to gush over how awesome it looks and the deliciousness it suggests.

Happy New Year!

Tabitha said...

Oh I always put chilli in my hot chocolate, in fact almost everything I eat is doctored with chilli or cayenne or Tabasco.
And yes it was Was ( Not) Was - though I would have forgotten all about the brackets.

Koru Kate {Koru Wedding} said...

It's oh so cold here in the Northeast & this sounds like the perfect remedy for my chilled self!

Mariette said...

Dearest Lily,

So good to read that you are 'armed' for the cold and this delicious Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe makes me feel warm even by reading it.
Thanks for sharing!
Love to you,

Mariette

la petite coquine said...

Mmm, there's nothing I love more than a spicy hot cocoa!

High Heeled Life said...

This sounds fabulously, YummY!! Next to tea hot chocolate is my go to, especially during the cold winter months. Hope you enjoyed the milder temps today (Saturday). xo HHL

canvasofculture said...

looks delicious! wonderful blog here, will definitely be back to visit:)

http://canvasofculture.blogspot.com/

The Demoiselle said...

Yeeeees please! I love any spice added to hot cocoa - you can hardly go wrong.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails