Thursday, March 8, 2012

At The Table: Giada De Laurentiis' Parmesan Biscuits


I have lost the battle and I have the French to thank for it.
Which battle you ask? Why it's the daily tug-of-war I engage in with my kiddies every afternoon when they return home from school. My children come home so ravenous that you would think I fed them once a week and trying to put off snacks till dinnertime has always caused a lot of strife in our household. After reading that the French stave off pre-dinner hunger by enjoying a little snack in the early afternoon (or 'le gouter' as it is known in France), I thought I would give it a go with the tykes. Typically, the French enjoy 'une tartine avec du beurre et de la confiture' (a slice of bread with jam and butter) or some other sweet treat but I thought we could put our own spin to it and try something a little savoury like these delicious biscuits that I came across while skimming through Giada De Laurentiis' site.
We devoured them with just a pat of lemon butter but the original recipe presents them with a little salmon and arugula which sounds delish!




Giada De Laurentis's Golden Parmesan Biscuits

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, white and green parts
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon butter at room temperature
3 cups baby arugula (optional)
10 oz. smoked salmon or prosciutto (optional)

1. Place an oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; add butter. Using your fingertips, work butter into flour until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in cheese and scallions. Add buttermilk and olive oil. Stir until mixture forms a dough. 
3. Drop dough onto prepared baking sheet in 12 equal-size portions. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. 
4. Slice each biscuit in half horizontally and spread each half with lemon butter. Serve biscuits whole.
Optional: Add arugula leaves and a small slice of smoked salmon or prosciutto to each biscuit.

Makes 12 biscuits




5 comments:

Rachael said...

How good do these look?!

Lily Lemontree said...

Rachael,
I promise you that they taste as good as they look!!

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

Oh my goodness, I'm drooling!

Mariettes Back to Basics said...

Dearest Lily,

Thanks for sharing this delicious and even healthy recipe! Yummy.
Have a great weekend and sending you my love,

Mariette

Victoria said...

Oooh I have to try these. They look fab and I love to watch Giada and have a couple of her books (in storage until we move int our new home). My kids are half starved when they come home from school too. I'm trying to steer them away from the sweet things as it just ramps them up before dinner time and then everything gets a little manic around here!!! I know I would love these biscuits and the kiddos might not get a look in though!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails