Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Essentials of Style: the Trench Coat


It hasn't stopped raining here in days and although it can still get quite chilly at times, after such a long winter, I find the rain quite refreshing. Makes me think that we have seen the last of the snow and spring can't be too far away. Of course with spring on its way, it's time to stow away our down parkas and wool coats and dig out the colourful raincoats and trenches that haven't seen the light of day in months.



While on an official visit to Northern Ireland with her future husband earlier this month, the lovely Kate Middleton donned a classic trench with a ruffled hem from Burberry and since then it seems no one can stop talking about 'the trench'.



The trench is a classic piece but not necessarily a style that can easily be worn by everyone. Button and belt placement, lapels, hems, and general silhouette are elements to take into consideration when purchasing a trench.
Ample in the bosom? Steer away from high button placement and look for a deeper cut at the neckline.
Find yourself bottom heavy? Avoid the excessive bulk below the belt and choose a trench with a more feminine, curvy sillhouette which will hug your curves.
A full skirted style (like the one on Katie Holmes above) can do wonders for a straight, boyish frame.
Not a friend of the color beige (or tan, mushroom, taupe, etc.) Modern versions can be found in basic black, white and red, gorgeous metallics and of course tres chic animal print. 






7 comments:

Jen said...

I love the look of a classic trench coat. Kate Middleton's style with the ruffled hem is so chic!

Silver Strands said...

I love that trenchcoats can dress up any outfit. No matter if it's a good day or a "fat" day, I love how I look in a trenchcoat!

Helen Ellis said...

I love my trench coat because when running errands on laundry day it covers up a multitude of fashion flubs.
Nice post!
Helen

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

I rotate between three trench coats depending on the temperature, one of which was my grandmothers!

Getting ready to add a fabulous Yves Saint Laurent 70s one to my shop as well...this post has motivated me to finish sewing the buttons and get it on the floor!

EntertainingMom said...

Oh Hell-o Grayson!!!

JMW said...

I ADORE Kate Middleton's trench - gorgeous! I wore my yellow trench the other day. Needed some color on a dreary, rainy day. :)

Rose said...

A Mac is an essential item for me- they just make everything look so together, so chic. The only problem is they do need endless dry cleaning in London I find- the tube, the rain, everything conspires to make mine always look black/ grey rather than beige. So I've taken to just buying one in Gap each season rather than investing in a serious one. That said I would like a Burberry one one day- and a gift card for the dry cleaner!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails