Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE BIG PICTURE: 'The King's Speech'


It's not a big secret that I have an immense crush on Mr. Colin Firth, the fab British actor and star of movies like 'Bridget Jones Dairy', 'Love Actually' and 'Mamma Mia'. Obviously I am not the only one who thinks he is of award winning calibre since he has been recently nominated for numerous 'Best Actor' awards for his role in a magnificent film 'The King's Speech', a movie that is definitely on my agenda for the festive season.

Mr. Firth portrays King George VI and the film tells the true story of the Duke of York (the reigning Queen Elizabeth's father) being thrust into the regal position he was not prepared for after the death of his father and the abdication of his brother. Taking the royal rein's of a country on the brink of war and looking for a charismatic monarch to lead them through the impending crisis and hardships, King George is forced to deal with a devastating speech impediment that has plagued him for his entire life and threatens his subject's confidence in their new king.
A wonderful film regardless of whether you consider yourself a monarchy buff or not. And since most of us have been bitten by the royalty bug since the engagement of King George's grandson, Prince William, it seems like perfect timing as the movie is in theaters now.  It's definitely a must see film!




What films will you be seeing during the holiday season?





6 comments:

JMW said...

I REALLY want to see this film! It sounds like a wonderful film and I'm a big fan of Mr. Firth, too. Thanks for posting - Hubby and I need a date night so we can see this film!

bevy said...

I literally have tears in my eyes and chills all over. I adore Colin Firth and know I will LOVE this movie....

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We share the same crush!
I saw A Single Man for the second time, have seen Love Actually and Bridget Jones many many times...and I will be seeing this movie too.

swooning from here....

Hill House Ramblings said...

Ohhh. I've had a thing for Colin since his "Mr Darcy" days! This film is definitely on my must see list. Thanks for posting the trailer! It looks marvelous. I'm seriously excited.

H.H.

LPC said...

Even the trailer is fabulous! Thank you.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I can' wait to see this movie too! I think Colin Firth is a great actor and no other actor can compete with his Mr. Darcy. He was great in A Single Man and my favorite Christmas movie Love Actually.
Merry Christmas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails