Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Lovely Ones: Katherine Hepburn




Katherine Houghton Hepburn was born on this day, May 12, 1907 in Hartford, Connecticut.





A student of history and philosophy at Bryn Mawr, she received her degree in 1928, the same year she made her debut on Broadway.



The four-time Oscar winning actress starred in numerous films like Morning Glory (1933), Little Women (1933), Alice Adams (1935), Bringing Up Baby (1938), The Philadelphia Story (1940), Adam's Rib (1949), Pat and Mike (1952), and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) which also starred the love of her life, Spencer Tracy.





Married once from 1928 to 1934 to Ludlow Ogden Smith (with whom she remained friendly with for the rest of her life), it was her relationship with Spencer Tracy that acquired her the role as one half of the most famous celebrity pairings of all time. Although they never married and continued to keep separate residences throughout their 26 year relationship, Ms. Hepburn took a 5 year hiatus from her acting career to take care of her ailing love, till his death in 1967. 





She had an unconventional approach to the accepted fashion of the times and preferred to eschew make-up and embrace menswear and pantsuits, high-waisted pants, oversized sweaters and loafers, almost single-handedly (with the a little help from fellow actresses Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich) breaking down the fashion barriers for women at the time. An avid golfer, swimmer and tennis player, her penchant for athletics came through in her sporty, classic American look.






Katherine Hepburn passed away on June 29, 2003 in Fenwick, Old Saybrook, Connecticut and was laid to rest in Hartford, Connecticut.








Shop FootzyRolls Now!


28 comments:

The Zhush said...

Class and charm, wit and brains, style and talent...I adore this amazing lady.

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

She is so beautiful and I love how she helped mold the fashion world. Thanks for teaching me a little more about her!! :)

JMW said...

One of my all-time favorites! She could wear trousers and a crisp white shirt like no one else.

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Speaking of Legends, she is one for sure!

James said...

She defines woman. A great post, thank you.

Paris Pastry said...

Katherine is one of my idols. Growing up, "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" was my favorite movie, because it resembles my parents love story. I love the pant suits she wore. She's so effortlessly stylish and elegant. I love this post! Great job!

Connie K said...

she sure did make a pair of pants look amazing didnt she ? Great post !

EntertainingMom said...

Her father was a urologist and her mother was a suffragette and fought for women's movement and the Birth Control Pill. Her brother committed suicide when she was 13, I believe and this impacted her life in many ways. The Hepburns were movers and shakers. They were educated and great contributors to society. I've idolized the Late Great Kate since I was in my early 20s. She is a true legend!

monty said...

Great post. Kate is one of my favorites. Her and Spence did make a great pair. But I was partial to her and Cary Grant. They made some of the best screwball comedies of all time - Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Holiday.

bevy said...

Loved her voice... and how elegantly she carried herself...

Robin said...

I enjoyed your post! She is truly one of a kind!

Tish Jett said...

Dearest Lily,

Absolutely sublime. She was the very definition of elegance, charm and intelligence.

Thank you for the birthday celebration.

xoxo,
Tish

Trish said...

What a fantastic recap of a gorgeous lady's life. She was beautiful in so many ways, and I really appreciate how she impacted fashion for generations to come! Such a style icon!

Stefanie Valentine said...

Know one else looked as good as she did in a white shirt and high waisted trousers. Intelligent as well as a very talented actress.

Rhiannon Nicole said...

I wish I would have lived in this era! Beauty was so simple and defined so differently. Gorgeous images :)

g e o r g i a said...

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Katharine Hepburn
She is amazing, beautiful, and I love her voice!

The Southern Lady said...

Lovely post. I find myself especially appreciative of it because my daughter, who is 10, loves wearing boyish clothes with a feminine twist. It's very Annie Hall, and considering what most girls wear these days, Katherine Hepburn is an ideal fashion icon for someone like my child.

A beautiful picture post!

Mary Ann said...

wow, iconic beauty that exudes power! have a great weekend...verbena cottage

Hampton said...

I love Kate! Such glamour and pedigree-they just introduced a vintage inspired stamp of her this week. I plan to stock up! Love your blog, so fun and fresh. Look forward to following you! all the best, Barbara

Kristin said...

That woman could work trousers like nobody else!

High Heeled Life said...

She was an amazing lady! I have many books about her - she truly lived life to the fullest and a most simple and elegant way. Great Post! Have a great week-end.

Jen said...

There are only a few timeless beauties out there... one definately being my mom ;-) and the other being Miss Hepburn! Oh how I hope to grow old gracefully like her! My kind of post dear!!

The Style Mansion said...

Katherine hepburn epitomises class.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Mhm. Separate residences? She definitely was a very progressive lady.

Pink Champagne said...

Just found your blog through Trish's and I must say, I'm in love! You have a new follower, Miss Lily Lemontree!
Such lovely pictures of Katherine Hepburn - wasn't she just so chic?

Glamoursurf said...

Such a sylealista!

Geisslein said...

I love her SOOO MUCH! She was one of the best!

Revoling Fashions said...

LOVE your blog, so cute, & L<3VE her!!!
Glad I stumbbled across your blog definitely following you, check out mine:

revolvingfashions.blogspot.com
xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails