Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Lovely Ones: Audrey Hepburn



Audrey Kathleen Ruston, more famously known as Audrey Hepburn, was born on this day, May 4, 1929 in Ixelles, Belgium.


Although she started her career as a ballerina and model, she turned to acting because "I needed the money; it paid ₤3 more than ballet jobs" and came to America in 1951.


She starred in numerous films, notably Roman Holiday (1953), Sabrina (1954), War and Peace (1956), The Nun's Story (1959), Breakfast at Tiffany's (1960) and My Fair Lady (1964).






Married twice, she had two children.




Shortly after her last film, she became an ambassador for UNICEF and devoted the rest of her life to aiding poverty-stricken children.




Ms. Hepburn died on January 20, 1993 in Tolochenaz, Vaud, Switzerland, where she was also interred.





15 comments:

Café Bellini - Beauty. Yoga. Kids. Life. said...

Hi! I absolutely adore Audrey Hepburn and she is so gorgeous!

James said...

I have always adored Ms Hepburn. She was so graceful in her work and life.

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

She is so so beautiful and classy! Her older pictures are just as stunning as her younger ones! :)

Bethany said...

Audrey Hepburn is one of my favorites! One of my favorite Audrey Hepburn movies is Charade. Such a great classic. xoxo

EntertainingMom said...

Funny... my most recent post is about Gingham... but I have Audrey's picture up (sporting gingham pants!) I love Audrey... her beauty and all the good she did in this world. She was truly an icon!

Stefanie Valentine said...

She is such a graceful and elegant beauty. I actually bought a book of her quotes and they make so much sense, and she gives really good advice xx

bevy said...

What a true beauty... loved her voice as well!

Pink Martini said...

Is there any expression in a movie ever more telling and desirable than in Roman Holiday when she is looking at Gregory Peck for the last time at the press conference? Absolute perfection. My heart just broke, did you hear it? :) xoxo

Tammy B said...

I have always adored Audrey. Two or my favorite movies are Charade and Funny Face. She always behaved with dignity and class. I wish she were still around today.

Sweet Southern Prep said...

Wonderful post. Lovely photos and very well written. Audrey is the definition of beauty and class.

Giorgie said...

The last photograph of Audrey Hepburn was really stunning. A beauty until the end.

Kristin said...

She was truly something to behold. I will forever try to channel her flawless style!

Persis Shah said...

She was beautiful...inside and out. Loved the last pic that you've posted!

Persis.
www.onestylemile.blogspot.com

Housewife Bliss said...

I love these photos, but really enjoyed seeing how she aged, you often don't see her as a 'mature' woman.

Bringing Lady Back said...

Ah! What a timeless beauty. Inside and out. Thank you for honoring one of my favorites!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails