Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Style Icon: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis




Today we are privileged to have the always fabulous Jen from A Place to Dwell guest blogging about the epitome of style icons, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Mrs. Kennedy is tops in my book of style icons (some might call it a little bit of an obsession!) and we are very lucky to have someone as chic as Jen from A Place to Dwell, who just happens to be a great wife and mom, writer, member of the Junior League, and blogger extraordinaire grace us with her musings on one of the most celebrated women of all time.
Thank you Jen for the great post and beautiful images of this true style icon!!

Don't forget to click on any of the links above or here as soon as you are done reading to be taken directly to A Place to Dwell!




The lovely Lily Lemontree invited me to guest blog about a figure I would consider a style icon. Hands down, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.



Style, grace, poise, charm – she had it all. Everything she wore – from summer shift dresses, to gorgeous suits and gowns, to a simple pair of white Capri pants with a cotton T and those “Jackie O” sunglasses. She personified simple elegance.



JKO was such a private person, especially after the White House years, and perhaps because she was so elusive this added to the mysterious aura that surrounded her.




It’s so different from many of these so-called socialites (Bravo’s Housewives, series, anyone?) who put way too much of themselves out there. They show no restraint. To say they are polar opposites of JKO is an understatement; yet you hear so many of them say they want to emulate her. Ladies, it’s never going to happen if you continue to behave in such a fashion, but, I digress…


One of the biggest influences JKO had on my own personal style was when I purchased my wedding gown. I wanted understated elegance and because my wedding was in the morning followed by a champagne brunch reception, I wore wrist-length gloves, like JKO. My wedding gown was an Oleg Cassini, who designed many of JKO’s clothes. Some of his designs for JKO have been on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the JFK Library. So, yes, perhaps I was channeling Jackie a bit on my wedding day.




She had a regal air about her, in her posture, stance, voice and how she carried herself in general. A true lady to the end.









SPRING SUMMER 2013 COLLECTIONS at FORZIERI.COM

26 comments:

Short Southern Momma said...

What a great post! This woman could do no wrong when it came to fashion...thanks so much for all the inspiration this morning! xoxo

Trish said...

Beautiful guest post! JKO was truly grace and style personified.

Thank you for introducing me to Lily Lemontree's blog! Very happy to be a new follower XO

Modern Traditionalist said...

Yes, yes, yes. JKO is a huge influence in my life, not only her style but her poise even through the most challenging events. Your post has helped me channel my inner strength today, something which is much needed.

BTG laughs because I have the audio of JKO's A&E Biography episode and listen to it in the car...or whilst working out.

I always laugh at these trashy ladies who cite JKO or Audrey Hepburn as their style icons. Really?! You will never understand style if you believe it is only reflected in your clothes.

MT

James said...

A very lovely post by one of my favorite bloggers. A perfect start to the day.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

JKO is the definition of grace and fashion....those images are lovely. Thank you for the post.

Bonjour Madame said...

I loved the guest post! JKO owned her look. She was so distinctive and she worked with what she had and always looked so elegant. Hilarious comment about the "real housewives". They drive me crazy :)

Emily Kathleen said...

What a delightful post! Love all the pictures!

Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Jaqueline Kennedy - wonderful model of all of us. Your photos and posting were beautifully displayed, as elegant and Jaqueline herself. Thank you.

pve design said...

Stylish and strong, I admire both qualities in people.
pve

A Refocused Life said...

Great post by a wonderful blogger...I'm a regular follower of A Place To Dwell. Isn't it amazing that there are so many photos of JKO, and yet I've never seen her look anything other than perfection. Thanks for sharing.

PS - Lily Lemontree has a little something special on my March 9 post.

MBM said...

LOVE. THIS. POST!! Love!! Thank you for sharing with us. xox MBM

Belle Clair said...

Wonderful post. Jacqueline was lovely and had the most classic, timeless style. Thanks for this! xo

bevy said...

You know I am a regular, J!!! Love how you captured JKO's understated elegance. Isn't it fun guest blogging?

myletterstoemily said...

such a glamorous lady without being
beautiful.

i have a fun jackie story. when my husband
was about 13, he vacationed in jamaica
with his family who attended a party along
with jackie.

my husband's father said, "anyone could
meet her but wouldn't it make a better
story to ask her to dance?"

that's exactly what he did, and she graciously
accepted.

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

What a way to start thy day. . .wonderful post about one of my favorite style icons. The pictures you selected are beautiful, as are your words about this amazing woman.

Stefanie Valentine said...

Always so elegant and charming, it's a shame more women nowadays don't look to her for inpsiration.xx

Dustjacket Attic said...

Oh such a lovely guest post! thank you :)
xoxo

teaandetiquette said...

What a wonderful post! Yes, JKO was the epitome of grace and style. She was also incredibly intelligent, which is another reason to admire her!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

What a style icon...such great images! xx

Beach Vintage said...

I dont think anyone else comes close.

Dorothy L said...

She was and always will be one of the most classiest women of our time:)

Obee Designs said...

Jackie O was a sophisticated and classy woman. It is so sad she lost her husband the way she did. She always seemed to have an amazing way of handling herself and her persona was so elegant. Thanks for sharing!
Have a wonderful day!
XoXo
Gail

Metropolitan Mum said...

Lucky me. A guest post of one of my favourite bloggers on one of my favourite blogs. Happy weekend!

Housewife Bliss said...

I am with MT on this one, never has there been a woman more stunning and inspirational to style, grace and beauty, I just adore the pictures chosen, there are so many classic looks to review and be reminded of. Thank you for this. Off to see A Place to Dwell.

Giorgie said...

Jackie was, and still is, simply the best.

I often keep her in mind when I'm dressing. Visualizing Jackie reminds me that less is more, a little is enough. Cool and smart, she was.

I, too, styled my wedding day look after Jackie O, almost 12 years ago, and I can look at photos from my wedding and take pride that I will have that timeless elegance that made her the style icon.

Thanks for the wonderful post.

Giorgena

dpress101 said...

The great triumvirate of 20th century fashion - If Europe had Audrey Hepburn conquered the Hollywood and an American Grace Kelly as her counterpart, Jackie O is still and will always be the beauty who will forever grace the American politics. She's indeed the ultimate First Lady in every world.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails