Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Style Icon: Edward Herrmann


If anyone knows what it takes to be a stylish gentleman, it would be today's guest blogger, James from Man of the 50s. Surely we are a bunch of lucky readers in that, not only has James chosen to shine the style spotlight on who he considers to be a style icon, actor Edward Herrmann, a favourite of many who loved the hit show "The Gilmore Girls" but he has also allowed us a glimpse into how he started courting his lovely wife (men, take note, this is how it's done!). Click on the link above or here to be taken to his blog. Let's do the male population a favor and introduce them to James and his words on the art of being a real man, it would be the best thing that ever happened to them (and quite frankly, to us).
A very gracious thank you to you, James!



After our first “pity date“, acknowledged by both parties as such, I had decided to pursue little Elaine. I had insider knowledge due to our mutual friend Kate. She supplied me with two important bits of information. Elaine was a big Robert Redford fan and I wasn’t the only horse in the race. My rival was one of those guys I hated in high school. You know the type, hair always perfect, shirt tail always tucked in, perfectly shined shoes, just the right amount of Canoe aftershave and everybody liked him. A real cretin. I had to save her. After a telephone call ended in “I’m really busy in school why don’t you call back in two or three weeks, thanks”, I decided to spring “the Plan”.
I don’t care much for Mr. Redford, Jeremy Irons would have been so much better in “Out of Africa”, but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. There were three Redford movies playing at the time and I figured I had three tries to wear her down. For the love of mike, am I ever going to get to the style part? Hooray we’re finally here! Right out of the gate was “The Great Gatsby”. And there for the first time I saw Edward Herrmann. The tall, lanky kid playing the piano. He reminded me of well…me. We are both tall, I’m 6’4” and he is 6’5“, and are what polite people call big boned. I also have a baritone voice, but don’t possess his wonderful ability to articulate the English language.


He speaks and his charcoal smooth voice simply overwhelms you with honesty, sincerity, and knowledge. Don’t think you have never heard him, he has narrated many shows on PBS and the History Channel . My favorites are “History’s Lost and Found” and “ The Ultimate Auto”. He was the voice of Dodge automobiles for many years.


He was a 1965 graduate of Bucknell and a member of Phi Kappa Psi. He was the perfect preppie. When he graduated he studied acting in London which I’m sure added to his sense of style.



I have always held Mr Hermann to be the ultimate in male style. His clothes are on the conservative side, mostly traditional looks with a few extras like daring socks and ties, oh yes, bow ties also!

He lives his life and practices his craft with style and dignity. He can be summed up as a true class act. While until recently he was Richard Gilmore , his body of work is too vast to list here.” Google “ him to see it all. You may be surprised that you have watched him work.


As we were leaving a restaurant the other night my middle daughter commented as I took Elaine’s arm. “ How nice Dad”



“Nice hell”, I replied “ I’m still afraid she’ll get away!”

12 comments:

FemmeCurieuse said...

Just passed on a blog award to you: "I love your blog!" (Which I do!) Details over on my side, should you care to mosey by. As always, lovely work!

James said...

Thank you for the kind words and the chance to talk about Mr. Herrmann. You're the best!

vir beātum said...

Courtship really is a lost art. Then again, so is dressing. Oh, also manners. In short, character has rather lost its way. I'm trying to recover these things, very much in sympathy with James, but from a rather different generational standpoint. I hope I may tempt one or two over to beingmanly.blogspot.com

Metropolitan Mum said...

James' blog is wonderful. I am blessed with a gentleman to call my own husband myself, but I'd love to see more of this stylish and gentle behaviour around me.

Stefanie Valentine said...

I wish men would court us women the way they used to, it's so much more romantic than "fancy a s**g?!!!
This is a great post x

Mike said...

Thanks for the great post! I have never come across Man of the 50s before. I am on my way over there now.

Pink Martini said...

I've admired EH's acting abilities for years. He was the best FDR ever. Cute about your wife. :)

Beth Dunn said...

I love him! xoxo
SC

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You truly are a gentleman, and to me that defines a man in the truest, and best form. I think it's so romantic that you had a plan. Nothing is worse than the thought of a man 'giving in' to get married. Your love story is so charming and the thought you don't what your sweet Elaine to 'get away' even now is all the more charming.

Bumby Scott said...

Wonderful blog. Wicked good guest post.

Always Bumby

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

So, you are Edward Hermmann? I am very confused...great guy it sounds like aned always great blog. Bravo.

Butler said...

I love that you picked Ed. He is one of my best friends fathers and truly a great guy. He's always well put together, even around his home at any odd hour.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails