Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE ICONS OF STYLE: Andre '3000' Benjamin


Todays guest post on style icons brings us the musings of one of the sharpest style bloggers out there, Robert I. Brown. The sixteen year old blogger extraordinaire is taking the style world by storm with his fabulous blog (that you must check out!) and his regular guest post at Details Magazine. I could go on all day about Robert and his blog but my simple words can not do either justice, so click on any of the links found above (or in the favorite blogs link in the sidebar) to be taken to his blog.
Young gentlemen like Robert restore my faith that all is not lost with the younger generation when it comes to style, manners, and the art of elegant living. We are beyond honoured that he found the time to tell us a little bit about his style icon, Andre '3000' Benjamin.
Thank you so very much Robert!


André "3000" Benjamin.
The creative gentleman from Atlanta is simply the best-dressed man of our time. Why do I say this? Mr. Benjamin is an innovator of style.


During his early rapping career, I must admit I was confused with his choice of wardrobe. He favored loose trousers, crazy tops, and even wigs. I remember one image of the style rebel dressed with football shoulder-pads apart of his ensemble. Sure, Mr. Benjamin may have looked eccentric in his own way, but I do believe the message he sent through his earlier dress was meaningful: he dressed the way he wanted without thinking about what the next man had to say about it. This was all that truly mattered.


André later refined his style. This is when the man behind Benjamin Bixby, his fairly new clothing line, became a sartorial threat. He still has that eccentric edge, but it isn't so "show-off," as in the previous years.


Today, you can see André still wearing his favorite accessory (hats), bow ties, sharp formal wear, denims that fit, items from his new line, and what I'd like to think as everyone's best accessory: his big smile. This is the same guy who brought the world fine musical pleasure, and he'll now be showing his stylish tastes through the Benjamin Bixby line.



André "3000" Benjamin doesn't boast, he just dresses like it's his last day on Earth, and if God was to choose individuals by their creativity through dress - guess who's going to heaven first?




Free People CA


12 comments:

Housewife Bliss said...

I love this guy -- you are so right about the gates of heaven opening up for him. I recently saw his picture in a magazine when were in AZ last, he does not crop up in the UK that often, and as timing would have it, my mother sent me some US mags to read and he was in there looking divine.

Patty said...

I like how Andre dosen't shy away from bold colors, most men wouldn't be able to pull it off ;) thanks for posting!

Pink Martini said...

When did he change centuries? Left something for you on my blog. Have a great day! :) xoxo

Trish said...

I am absolutely in LOVE with this post. You are brilliant as always!!! :)

Jess said...

I love Andre's style-- I was just thinking about that the other day when I heard "Rosa Parks" on the radio :-)

Tish Jett said...

Great, great, great Lily. Bravo.

xoxo,
Tish

James said...

His style is impressive, but I like a man who wears a hat well. Mr Benjamin is outstanding in that category! Thank you Lily for sharing Mr Brown.

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Fabulous post, going to check out this little blogger you have mentioned. Love men who aren't afraid of color, for My John blue or army green. That's all!
Have a good day.....

FemmeCurieuse said...

Love this - I did a double-take when I saw the title, but you are right on target (as always)! He's a sharp one!

Hope Chella said...

I love him! Have a great Easter :) xx

http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

Dumbwit Tellher said...

And his greatest accessory, that *smile*. My teen loves his music, I love his style factor. Great post Lily. Thank you and happy Easter to you and yours ~ deb

Giorgie said...

You're right, Robert I. Brown, Andre 3000 is the best of our time. It is difficult for a man to set himself apart as a trendsetter as opposed to just being fabulously stylish by having a good dress sense, but Andre 3000 is all of these. He truly has come into his own in the last few years and the maturity translates into class and finesse.

Most men do not have the advantage of being able to express themselves so freely with style and it would be odd if any one of my male colleagues were to show up to the office wearing something as daring as Andre, but I'm still glad he's there for our admiration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails