Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It Must Be Christmas Time at Rockefeller Center!





With a relatively young family to preside over, we are a work in progress when it comes to holidays and the traditions that go with them. I have chosen to pass along a few from my own childhood but the fun part for me is coming up with 'new' traditions to make our own. We always have new Christmas pyjamas that we put on before we go to bed on Christmas Eve. We make gingerbread cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve that we place on Santa's special plate for his stopover. We wake to an indulgent pancake breakfast Christmas morning. We even sit around and read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' together with some delicious hot chocolate (how storybook of us!).
I am not saying that we all sit still during our holiday reading (some of us have to be restrained!) or aren't complaining (okay more like whining) that we 'don't want pancakes this morning' but pardon my peppery language, 'gosh darn it' these are the traditions that this mother has chosen to make her family's future memories out of. So even in the midst of pre-schooler resistance and kindergartener chaos, I try my hardest to make the most of these traditions, even if they are still in their infant stages, knowing that one day my children will fondly reminisce over these memories. One of my favourite ways to mark the holidays with my family is to watch the lighting of the famed Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.




The christmas lights at Rockefeller Center officially go on tonight, marking the 77th year for this holiday tradition. Growing up, I always felt that the official start to the Christmas season was marked by the lighting of that special tree so I have tried to keep that feeling with me by making it a new family tradition of watching the lighting of that tree with my children, as we put up and decorate our own Christmas tree. Something about that tree makes me wax nostalgic about days gone by, childhood Christmases, and simpler times, maybe that is why I hold it dear to my heart.
The Christmas tree was first erected in 1931 in front of the RCA building, now known as the GE Building but it wasn't till 1953 that Americans witnessed the first televised lighting of the famed tree.




I have visited NYC too many times to count but being there to witness the 'flick of the switch' (so to speak) has always alluded me. Maybe I will have to pull out another 'family tradition' from my sleeve and make it an annual trip for my family to see this fabulous sight next year.
Post your comments and share your families past and present traditions to mark the holidays!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There ain't no Christmas countdown without a Charlie Brown Christmas viewing.

EntertainingMom said...

We're watching too... we have many of the same traditions that you are starting. I just picked up everyone's new pajamas this afternoon. My kids are slightly older -- 10, 8 and 4 and they look so forward to these traditions!

Blondie said...

This is gorgeous! I can't wait for the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I too, was afraid of that abominable snowman in the Rudolph show. Thanks for visiting and commenting honey. Hope you are having a great week! Kori xoxo

Tish Jett said...

That was always one my favorite reasons for loving living in New York.

How lovely it will become part of your new traditions. I took my daughter ice skating many times. She loved it. I spent most of the time sitting on the ice.

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

I heart NYC at Christmastime:) You need you get your hands on a pair of Diva Dish gloves, try www.fancypantzdesigns.com and let me know if you cant find a pair you like I can track them down for you:) Have a great day!

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour! Congratulation on your award from Blonde Episodes! Rockefeller Center just says Christmas - this is a lovely tradition to start with your family.

The Novice Chef said...

I love starting new family traditions! And this is a wonderful one for you to start with your family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails