Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Home Ec Teacher Would Be Proud!


I try to do my part when it comes to bringing my own reusable bags to the grocery store but sometimes I have to run in for some last minute thing and I end up with the dreaded plastic bags. Add the ones that come from non-grocery shopping (the kind of shopping I prefer) and by the end of the week, I end up with a mountain of plastic bags. Not that I don't re-use them, we are still a household with projects to cart to school and smelly diapers to dispose of, so they do come in handy. The only problem is that they are everywhere and I find them unsightly when they are just stuffed into one another and hidden in a cupboard.



Enter Martha (Stewart of course, is there any other Martha??) with this fabulous idea for creating a bag holder out of an old kitchen towel and some twill tape. Really simple instructions (just click on this link) even for those of us who spent Home Ec class daydreaming of changing the world instead of replacing a button.(Yes, that would be me, I raise my hand in shame. I never thought anything that poor lady was trying to teach me was ever going to factor into my life. If I had only known then what I know now.....)

I tried this last night and I was impressed not only with my finished product but with myself. After my first few stitches, I started laughing while I thought "who are you kidding, you can't sew and you know this will not end up looking like what is in that picture" But lo and behold, my teenage brain must have absorbed something in that home ec class because it turned out great, exactly like in the picture. My mother couldn't believe that I had made this little tote, she was convinced I had purchased it. Since my husband was my only witness to the claim that I had made this myself, my mother first confirmed with him that I was telling the truth and then asked me if I could make one for her. Perfect to hang in a kitchen cabinet or even by the door you use the most, making it so much easier to grab a bag on your way out.




2 comments:

EntertainingMom said...

excellent!!!! I can't sew a stitch...I can't even get the blasted gold buttons to stay on the kids navy blazers...

Blondie said...

Great job! Thanks for the comments honey! I hope you have a marvelous weekend! Kori xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails