Sunday, November 29, 2009

How to Be a Happy Housewife: Get Yourself Some Alcohol!


Now don't get too excited, I am not talking about that kind of alcohol, ladies.
I'm talking about the kind you find at the drugstore.




Yesterday, my three year old decided to sneak downstairs to the family room and write all over my couch with a pen. Yes, I said ALL OVER my couch. Luckily for me, my couch had a removable slip cover that although light in colour (a pink, green and cream awning stripe combination), was chosen by yours truly in a durable cotton twill just in the event of an incident like this one.
After all the yelling and crying subsided (mine as well as his), I ran to the only place where I knew I could find some help, my Home Ec books. I have been collecting old Home Economics books for years, much to the amusement of my husabnd who has often wondered (out loud) what I could possibly do with all these books on the same subject. Well, I was glad that he was around to see all his hard earned dollars at work.
Book after book that I looked through told me that the only foolproof way to remove ink from almost all fabrics is to use rubbing alcohol. Good old isopropyl alcohol can be applied directly to the ink stain to soak for a few minutes and then you can wash the item according to the manufacturer's directions. I would never have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it myself but it really did the trick. The ink stains started to disappear slowly and about 15 minutes later the stains were almost completely gone. When I pulled the slipcover out of my washing machine, there wasn't even a trace of the stain left. The researcher in me decided to learn a little bit more about the varied household uses for rubbing alcohol and I was amazed with what I came up with.
An obvious germ killer, it's recommended to wipe down your phone on a regular basis with a cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean and disinfect. Bathroom fixtures (or anything chrome for that matter) will gleam like never before if you go over them with a soft cloth and a generous amount of alcohol, and the added bonus is that the alcohol will quickly evaporate and therefore no need to rinse the fixtures off.
From cleaning marker off of a countertop to getting hairspray off of your bathroom mirror, this little bottle hidden away in my medicine cabinet has become my new best friend.
Since I couldn't feel fully comfortable applying alcohol to my slip cover without finding out what Martha thought about it first, I double-checked the Martha Stewart site just to see what she had to say and she concurred that it was the only way to go. While I was there, I came across this great holiday stain removal guide that I am sure some of us will have to run to at some point during this holiday season.
Got any secret stain removal tricks up your sleeve?
Please post a comment and share them with us.




7 comments:

EntertainingMom said...

I'm pretty sure that the "other" alcohol would help too!!! ;) Never thought to check out martha's website for unwanted stains. Brilliant!

Tish Jett said...

Where have you been all my blogging life? Your blog is brilliant, absolutely brilliant and I must say I'm encouraged someone, somewhere is interested in etiquette. I presume you also actually take pen to paper to write notes? Amazing.

I think you should have a fan club, but then again you probably do. I'm joining. What this world needs is a little refinement.

Best regards,
Tish

Lily Lemontree said...

I can confirm that there was more than one 'alcohol' on the table during the stain removal ordeal! (LOL!)

Lily Lemontree said...

Tish-thank you so very much for the wonderful comments, what a great way to start my week!

Blondie said...

Good tip honey! Thanks so much for the support and sweet comments on my novel doll. I appreciate them more than you know. Hope you had an amazing holiday. Kori xoxo

Beth Dunn said...

So glad to know that! I would have never thought. xoxo

SC

Anonymous said...

where was this blog about three years ago when I was working form home and my then 3 year old decided to entertain herself with a red marker on my white couch.
Thanks for the fabulous tip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails